Friday, January 4, 2008

My respond to Aidan...

My respond to Aidan from her comment in Ella Mae Lentz’s vlog on ASL version (by Ella Mae Lentz) of an excerpt of MLK Jr’s Speech before march on Selma

Hello Aidan,

pdurr is right to keep ASLAN debate out of Ella Mae Lentz’s vlog as it is not related to it and I don’t want to create Ella Mae Lentz’s vlog into a war zone. This issue will be in my blog to discuss more about it.

I want you to know that I didn’t know or aware about ASLIAN in past. There is no education on it or pursuing analysis on this term. Bottom line, it was cease and I developed this term and my reason to use this term is many reasons. That’s why I did create a website, amerisilan.info to explain any questions people want to ask about this term. You need to understand that the “deaf” is not solution and I am deaf. I am not here to debate that everyone must change to ASLAN. If you want to stay with term “deaf” then it is fine with me. Bottom line, ASLAN describe who I am not the term of “deaf.” There are too many different describe of “deaf” and which is mine? ASLAN has very simple define of who I am. Here is a define of Amerisilan…

-Noun
1. A person who use America Sign Language without speaking.

-Verb
1. A person who have ability to understand and express to a person who use America Sign Language without speaking include, but not limited to face expression, gesture, signing, or finger spelling.

-Adjective
1. Of or relating to a person who use America Sign Language without speaking include, but not limited to language, characteristic, or culture.

That’s who I am. I am ASLAN and sub topic to ASLAN; I am deaf. That’s way we can build a bigger community with Codas and hearing people who know ASL very well. This is diversity and better way to unity by the form of communication. I didn’t develop this term during overnight. I did give it a long discussion with other people and research on many issues with this term. It is not a deficit thinking, but a better way to describe who I am.

Again, if you don’t like it, its fine, but you have no rights to tell me that those ideas are old and failure that I should stop calling myself ASLAN. The idea might not be right time in the past, but at this time, it is right time to discuss and recognize us in better community.

Trust me, I am not here to destroy the concept of our culture, characters and language. Everything is same except the term of deaf change to ASLAN to describe the people who use ASL. That’s all and I am proud to use ASL without any ashamed!

17 comments:

Aslpride said...

Aidan,

I did read your second comment in Ella Mae Lentz. Yes, I was wrong to say it is "My." I didn't mean it as this term is for everyone, but I want to make it a clear meaning for viewers that I will use ASLAN often in my vlogs and it is important that viewers understand what I mean. I planning to explain more about ASLAN to clarify my reason for this term. Again, it is not my and only me to use it. This idea is old as many of you say that, but no one using it. I am exercising to use this term to clarify many misunderstand in term of "deaf."

Anonymous said...

Since, you're open to debate on this term. Did you know that Wikipedia defines Aslian language as the language of the orang asli, the aborginal inhabitants of Malaya. But note that you used ASLian while Wikipedia just capitalized the first letter only of that word. Still, it is too similar and may be confusing since that word is officially a language of another culture. Something to take note of.

Aslpride said...

Yes, I was aware of it. That's why I use ASLAN instead of ASLIAN. I am not sure if anyone did catch it because people keep spelling ASLian after my comment about ASLAN. :)

Anonymous said...

Likewise, Aslan is also a character of "The Chronicles of Narnia".

I used to love to watch that movie with my kids when they were younger.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I noticed that there were two versions.

Aslpride said...

First of all, let me explain my character. I love to watch movies and despite books, but I do read books when I need to do. When I watch "The Chronicles of Narnia". It is my first time to see a character with Aslan. I smiled. It is very important to remember that ASLAN is an abbreviation from Amerisilan.

Anonymous said...

ahh ok, got it.

Anonymous said...

Hi ASLPride,

You do not need to explain to me about the definition of ASLAN. I understood this term. :o) The only problem is "MY" term.

You have my full support and encouragement for you to explore and to add your definition to this term that will support and bring positive view of the Deaf community.

The words of “ASLan” and “Deaf” have many pros and also have some cons.

Let’s focus on ASLAN since we know what are the cons about using “Deaf” with a big D: Many people feel that using ASL is for cavepeople or apes. They feel that ASL is a primitive language. Once you label yourself as an ASLAN, people would think that you are stuck in primitive level. That’s why many (ignorant) people look down on ASL. One of main factors why the oralism exists is because they wrongful assume that ASL is a primitive language that used by cavepeople and apes.

One of the examples that many people make fun of Deaf people when they use their hands to communicate. It is rare to see people making fun of them being deaf (in medical term).

However, it does not mean we lose hope, we have many potentials to bring the positive views of the Deaf community. Keep up with good work.

Aidan

drmzz said...

I think the opposite of you, Aidan, but you're entitled to your opinion. General public are familiar with sign language, not ASL. Once they realize the differences in ASLAN or ASLIAN, they will realize ASL is language rather than signing like apes or whatever.

Time to break away from medical model. Som hearing people makes fun of disabled people ALL the time, can see them at youtube or comments section within every article that relates to such.

Anonymous said...

Drmzz: Whoa! Who says it was my opinion. I support ASLian since day one. I am talking about pros and cons of using ASLian/ASLan and how people see this term. We had wonderful debate at Gallaudet University and CSUN about these terms. I just shared what I learned. Hope I am clear.

Aidan

Anonymous said...

"Sign language has been chosen as the superior medium in which to conduct language instruction for primates because they are unable to vocalize language"

http://www.pigeon.psy.tufts.edu/psych26/language.htm

Aidan said...

"The language Koko uses, American Sign Language, or Ameslan as it is called by the deaf for whom it is a primary mode of communication, is the fourth most commonly used language in the United States."

Look the word of "primary mode of communication" and "Ameslan".

http://www.koko.org/world/teok_ch1.html

Drmzz: thats what I was trying to say.. It is not coming from my opinion.

I like what you and Patti had said in Patti's blog: People of Language and People of Eye.

But with ASLIAN and Deaf with D, still there are risking for people to misinterpret these words.. I hope you get what I am saying since English is my second language. Ahh..

Aidan

drmzz said...

Aidan, I do see what you saying. I was merely using this word in mind, "opinion" to represent what your knowledge of this subject, that's all. Only word to come to mind. I reject any other definitions of ASL, i.e., your Koko example. I just think that switching to a linguistic model (language focus) away from medical model (auditory-speech focus) is something to consider, IMO. People who want to maintain their auditory-speech aspect of themselves can do so as being deaf or hoh or hearing impaired or whatever. I'm language based instead. Dual language, really.

Anonymous said...

Drmzz: " I just think that switching to a linguistic model (language focus) away from medical model (auditory-speech focus) is something to consider, IMO."

I agreed with you. I support that we need to find the term that represent us as lingusitic minority, not disability. We are on the same page. I feel it is good for us to discuss what are the cons and pros about the terms that define us before we jump ahead and label us then in result it would hurt us more.

Have a good day. I get out and start my day... :o)

Aidan

drmzz said...

Aidan, it's all good. See how it goes. Glad you don't have to beat me up at Deaf Blog Awards, LOL. Maybe Amy will. ;) Later.

Aslpride said...

My Respond in video

Platonic's Eye said...

I understand your meaningful very well, I can suggest you to look up my tube... Communication as option that diminish ASL under Your tube. Virgingorda2 or DeafVideo.TV under the name Virgingorda2 Communication Option will explain to you. Thanks!!!